Human Resources Assistant
Human Resources Assistant
- Serves as the first point of contact for HR Dept. callers and visitors by directing them to the appropriate team member for assistance, taking messages, or handling personally within the scope of the position’s essential duties, ensuring confidentiality and professionalism at all times, even under pressure.
- Serves as the back up to the Front Desk receptionist.
- Responsible for monthly wellness speaker presentations as well as providing wellness information from various partners and vendors for inclusion in the company’s wellness newsletter.
- Timely responds to unemployment claims and ensures that all necessary documents are ready for senior staff to participate in hearings.
- Participates in unemployment hearings by taking notes for potential appeals.
- Participates in labor/ management meetings as the formal note taker.
- Timely transcribes and produces minutes from those meetings for review by the Sr. Manager of Labor Relations. Ensures packets of materials are prepared for each meeting and all attendees.
- Responsible for the maintenance of complete job files for all hired positions by ensuring that advertisements, resumes, and all interview guides are collected and scored for inclusion in the job file.
- Creates employee DOT files and maintains them.
- At the end of each month uses the monthly new hires and terms report to update the MVR informational lists for both bargaining unit and
- Administrative employees who drive company vehicles.
- Works with the HR Generalist to send our TPA the upload spreadsheet to run annual MVR checks on all applicable employees.
- Prepares new hire orientation packets and periodically, working with the Hiring Manager, reviews the on-boarding slide presentation for accuracy and makes necessary updates.
- Working with the Benefits Manager, creates new hire orientation benefit packets.
- Responsible for the creation of new hire personnel and other files by tracking new hire documents for inclusion in the personnel files, ensuring all documents are properly completed and accounted for.
- For onsite random drug and alcohol testing, works with the Sr. Manager of HR to ensure that the applicable department’s key point of contact is notified of testing dates and follows proper protocol so that employees subject to random testing immediately are checked in with the third-party tester and remain ready to test once the employee is brought onsite.
- On an ongoing basis, maintains accurate and complete personnel files by timely filing of all documents.
- Manages document control to include logging discipline for EEO purposes and then properly files those documents.
- Provides support for special projects as required, including clean-up of incorrect data in the HRM system
- Handles document retention and file storage for the HR team.
- Assists with annual benefits open enrollment.
- Assists with mailing out benefits paperwork as needed to retirees and others.
- Assists with meeting preparation such as booking meeting rooms and preparing meeting materials.
- Keeps the HR information table supplied and up to date. Ensures that other departments receive general HR-related materials as needed or requested.
- Maintains HR department supplies and creates requisitions for purchase orders.
- Creates new hire and replacement ID badges and replacement proxy cards as a backup.
- Liaises with Building and Grounds and IT for support needs.
- Liaises with Pension team as well as Finance/ Payroll and all other departments as needed in a courteous and professional manner.
- Must have a proven ability to handle all internal and external customers or stakeholders with courtesy, diplomacy, and tact, especially as it relates to controversial or confrontational situations. Displays a service-oriented attitude.
- Processes department check requests. Copies and distributes various HR documents and reports.
- Minimum two years’ experience in Human Resources is required.
- Must possess proven general knowledge of HR principles and core HR competencies.
- Should understand HR files, including personnel files and filing best practices.
- Should be able to understand, interpret and implement applicable portions of a labor agreement.
- Should have basic competency with data sets and how to create statistical reports and graphs.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is critical. Should be comfortable working with all levels of management and should possess strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be a self-starter, be self-motivated with a can-do attitude and able to work independently as required as well as be a team player.
- Must demonstrate willingness and ability to provide world class customer service to both internal and external customers with a service-oriented attitude.
- Must always be able to maintain confidentiality without exception.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Excel and SharePoint. Experience creating and maintaining charts and graphs is preferred.
- Requires ability to handle numerous activities at one time and move between tasks. Able to organize tasks in accordance with company and department priorities and complete them efficiently and on time.
- Experience or knowledge of the transportation industry and familiarity with FTA/ DOT rules and regulations is a plus but is not required.