Sr Systems Safety Engineer
Sr Systems Safety Engineer
We are looking for a Sr System Safety Engineer to join our team on a contract basis in Waltham, Ma.
Work in a fast-paced environment, participating on engineering teams designing, testing, integration, and development support of next generation robotic systems for the U.S. Military. The systems safety engineer (contractor) is responsible for helping to managing and performing safety analysis and reports for robotic systems. The candidate will be a hands-on person that will work closely with multi-disciplined integrated product teams consisting of program managers, software, mechanical, electrical, process, and manufacturing engineers throughout the product’s lifecycle including requirements development, design, verification/validation, deployment and sustainment.
The candidate will be capable of performing safety analysis on various levels of the design from component, assembly, subsystem, system and system of system. This person should also have experience with both hardware and software safety analysis. The will also to review, generate, and manage safety requirements, verification and validation (V&V), and test engineering, using expert knowledge of systems engineering or systems engineering management processes to guide product development teams.
This candidate must have a proven track record as a systems safety engineer working on DoD development programs or in the field of robotics. Knowledge and experience in systems engineering is also desired in the following areas: mission requirements analysis, system hierarchy and specification tree development, functional analysis, systems integration, requirements flowdown and allocation, trade studies, system synthesis, configuration definition and management, risk analysis, and hazard analysis
- Performing and/or leading safety analysis for technical designs with a multidisciplinary team. Such safety analysis including but not limited to:
- Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PHA)
- System Requirements Hazard Analysis (SRHA)
- Subsystem Hazard Analysis (SSHA)
- System Hazard Analysis (SHA)
- Operating And Support Hazard Analysis (O&SHA)
- Health Hazard Analysis (HHA)
- Functional Hazard Analysis (FHA)
- System-Of-Systems Hazard Analysis (SSHA)
- Environmental Hazard Analysis (EHA)
- Fault Tree Analysis (FTA)
- Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Failure Mode Effects And Criticality Analysis (FMECA)
- Write and support updates to safety analysis reports
- Support development of system test/validation docs
- Support the development of software test plans and test applications
- Support testing, debug and production of digital and analog systems
- Verifying and validating system and component performance to specifications
- BS Degree in System Safety Engineering, Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering , Electrical-Mechanical Engineering, Electrical/Computer Engineering, or Software Engineering; MS preferred.
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Strong knowledge and experience hazard analysis and hazard management
- Strong knowledge and experience with MIL-STD-882, MIL-STD-461, MIL-STD-464
- Strong knowledge and experience with Joint Software Systems Safety Engineering Handbook (JSSSEH)
- Strong knowledge of electrical, mechanical, and/or software design and development
- Knowledge and experience with ISO 262626, IEC 61508, and/or ISO 20474
- Experience with DOD systems and/or prior work in the field of robotics
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, and work independently to manage priorities and tasks over multiple projects
- Experience with requirements management and traceability
- Experience with validation of complex systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge and experience with DOD, SAE, IEEE, and/or IPC standards
- Experience with DOORS or an equivalent Requirement Management tool
- Working knowledge with LINUX and WINDOWS Operation Systems
- Familiar with test equipment, such as oscilloscopes, signal sources, spectrum analyzers, etc.
- Experience with of embedded device such as Microcontrollers, DSPs, or FPGAs with VHDL or Verilog
- Experience with software programming (C, C++ and/or C#)
- Experience with sensor integration and signal conditioning
- Experience w/ automation and/or integration with automotive or military vehicles
- Experience w/ radio comms integration &/or knowledge of RF/wireless principals
- Familiarity with CMMI Level 3 Processes
- Experience with Windchill
- Familiar with Data Collection and Analysis tools – MATLAB, LabView
- Working knowledge of ECAD tools – ORCAD, Altium, PADS, etc.
- Working knowledge of MCAD tools – PTC Creo, Solidworks, etc.
- Occasional domestic travel (< 10%) may be required
- Occasional international travel (< 5%) may be required
- Frequent local travel within Massachusetts may be required