Lab Assistant I
Lab Assistant I
- Performs pre-analytical tasks associated with laboratory testing under direct supervision.
- Receives specimens delivered by FedEx and other courier services. Opens packages, removes contents and places in appropriate sort bin by time of collection.
- Opens patient sample bags and reviews requisition and sample tubes for patient name, second ID match, and other relevant information
- Assigns accession number and labels requisition and tube(s).
- Enters sample collection information and patient demographic information into the Orchard Harvest LIS.
- Releases stored orders in Lab Information System (LIS) to enable the accession numbers to flow through the laboratory’s pre testing and testing functions
- Prepares and labels reagents when first opened.
- Performs daily equipment QC/daily equipment monitoring.
- Performs inventory and restocks laboratory supplies.
- Scans laboratory requisitions into the Orchard Harvest LIS.
- Handles special projects and tasks assigned by the Supervisor
- Follows all company safety policies & other safety precautions within work area.
- Regular attendance and timeliness is essential
- Other duties as assigned by the Processing Supervisor
- Laboratory Assistants must meet one of the following education/experience requirements: Requires a BS degree in a biological, chemical, or physical science, or an AS degree in a biological, chemical, or physical science that meets specific science requirements: 6 semester hours of chemistry and 6 semester hours of biology, and one full year of full-time clinical laboratory work experience.
- Must be detail oriented, with ability to work independently and collaborate as part of a team.
- Work requires compliance with strict safety protocols regarding work with reagents, laboratory equipment, and biological specimens.
- Work requires the analytical skills to collect information from diverse sources and solve problems.
- Work requires the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Work requires familiarity with computers; specifically use of Microsoft™ Windows and Microsoft Office software.
Regular Hours/Shift: Tuesday-Saturday; 4:00am - 12:30pm