Within the standards of the laboratory and local, state, federal, and other regulations, the Medical Laboratory Technician or Medical Technoloigsit performs the test and assures quality of the results.
- Performs all aspects of the diagnostic laboratory test according to laboratory procedures (specimen receipt, accessioning, processing, etc).
- Judges whether the results are abnormal/critical and takes appropriate action internally/externally according to laboratory guidelines. Records results of tests with all supporting documentation for clinical interpretation.
- Uses liquid handling robotics, cell counting instrumentation, and microscopy to perform assay work.
- Ensures the highest sample integrity and data quality, notifying Supervisors immediately of deviations and exceptions.
- Performs regularly scheduled quality control, preventative maintenance, and calibration of equipment according to laboratory guidelines. Performs all troubleshooting and repair.
- Contributes to the development of a continuous process improvement culture by recommending workflow changes and participating in new process implementations and technology transfer.
- Participates in department continuing education including training program expanding scope of knowledge.
- Trains and teaches laboratory personnel and other clinical staff. May observe, guide, verify and check documentation of less experienced lab personnel.
- Contributes to efficient workflow by taking initiative and filling in as needed. May assist in schedule preparation.
- Performs a variety of special projects or additional work as needed/assigned including participating in new test development and evaluation. Drafts procedures/protocols as directed.
- Enters sample collection information and patient demographic information into the Orchard Harvest LIS.
- Performs inventory and restocks laboratory supplies
- Follows all company safety policies & other safety precautions within work area.
- Regular attendance and timeliness is essential.
- Required to work some weekends and holidays as needed.
- A baccalaureate degree in Medical Technology or in one of the biological, chemical or physical sciences.
- Occasionally moves supplies and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Job requires employee to remain on his or her feet for continuous periods of time.
Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 8:00, 9:00 or 10:00 AM starting times