The Medical technologist performs diagnostic testing. Assures quality of the results and communicates relevance of results to other health care professionals.
- Performs diagnostic laboratory test according to laboratory procedures.
- Judges whether the results are abnormal/critical and takes appropriate action internally/externally according to laboratory guidelines. Records results of tests with all supporting documentation for clinical interpretation.
- Performs regularly scheduled quality control, preventative maintenance, and calibration of equipment according to laboratory guidelines.
- Performs all troubleshooting and repair according to laboratory guidelines.
- Participates in department continuing education including training program expanding scope of knowledge.
- Trains and teaches laboratory personnel and other clinical staff. Contributes to department continuing education. May observe, guide, verify and check documentation of less experienced lab personnel.
- Performs a variety of special projects or additional work as needed/assigned including participating in new test development and evaluation. Drafts procedures/protocols as directed.
- Verifies results and reviews fax and print queue’s for final distribution of reports
- Receives specimens delivered by FedEx and other courier service personnel. Opens packages, removes contents and dismantles packages.
- Enters sample collection information and patient demographic information into the Orchard Harvest LIS. Stamps requisitions with date of receipt.
- Contacts customers via telephone to resolve problems associated with samples received for the test.
- Keeps work area neat and tidy.
- Prints accession labels; prepares racks with labeled conical centrifuge and Leucosep tubes
- Performs inventory and restocks laboratory supplies
- Prepares and labels reagents when first opened.
- Fills Leucosep tubes with Ficoll Paque Plus according to established laboratory procedures.
- Scans laboratory requisitions into the Orchard Harvest LIS.
- Work requires the analytical skills to collect information from diverse sources, apply professional principles in performing various analyses, and summarize the information and data in order to solve problems OR design relatively complex systems and programs.
- Work requires the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and provide empathy in difficult interpersonal situations.
- Follows all company safety policies & other safety precautions within work area.
Laboratory Technicians must meet one of the following education requirements:
- A baccalaureate degree in Medical Technology or in one of the biological, chemical or physical sciences AND completion of a medical laboratory technologist training program or
- A baccalaureate degree, MLT/CLT certification, 3 years of full time clinical laboratory work experience and completion of science coursework equivalent to that required in a laboratory science education program or
- A baccalaureate degree, completion of the 50 week military laboratory training program, 3 years of full time clinical laboratory work experience and completion of science coursework equivalent to that required in a laboratory science education program or
- A baccalaureate degree, 5 years of full time clinical laboratory work experience and completion of science coursework equivalent to that required in a laboratory science education program.
Must be eligible for or possess current registration/certification as a Medical Technologist – MT (i.e. ASCP or NCA).
Must be eligible for or possess an active TN license as a Medical Technologist.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
- Occasionally moves about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Frequently moves equipment weighing up to 50 pounds
- Job requires employee to sit for extended periods of time without being able to leave the work area.
- Job requires employee to remain on his or her feet in an upright position for continuous periods of time without being able to leave the work area.
- Job requires employee to walk considerable distances in the facility during the course of his or her work.
Pay Range: $23.00-29.00/hr; based on experience