Specialty:Accounting & Finance
Our client in Marlborough, MA is looking for a Payroll & Accounting Specialist on a Full Time, Permanent basis.
Payroll & Accounting Specialist
The primary responsibility of the Payroll & Accounting Specialist is to support payments to employees including payroll payments and administration (which includes the review of foreign payrolls), tax filing support for new jurisdictions, expense review and reimbursement consistent with policy as well as discretion with respect to overall stewardship. This position requires a high level of confidentiality, strong communication skills, attention to detail and accuracy.
Essential Job Functions:
- U.S. Payroll Processing (bi-weekly and ad-hoc)
- Tracking and summarizing payroll changes in coordination with Human Resources Department.
- Ensuring the timing processing and verification of the above changes.
- Bi-weekly (and ad-hoc) processing payroll for each of the above jurisdictions.
- Preparation, verification and funding of 401K transfer.
Employee Expense Reimbursement:
On a weekly basis, review employees’ expenses to:
- Ensure completeness of the expense support.
- Ensure consistency of the reimbursement with support.
- Review and communicate any discrepancies with company policy.
- Use discretion to make decisions on the adequacy of support and consistency with company policy (where the policy does not directly address).
- Process on a timely basis.
- On an as needed, project basis, complete the tax filing needed for new jurisdiction requirements associated with new state filing requirements (i.e. in the event the company is required to register for payroll purposes in a new state).
- Coordinate with Tax Manager on the filing requirements.
- Prepare and present Tax Manager the filing requirements (submit to the state).
- Filing of Canadian Payroll Tax Reporting.
- Work with UltiPro to resolve tax issues.
- Reconciles the domestic quarterly and yearly tax returns.
- On a bi-weekly basis, reconcile the balances for vacation accrual, other payroll accruals.
- On a monthly basis, prepare and present an accurate and complete payroll accrual.
- On a monthly basis, prepare and present reconcilement of payroll related general ledger accounts.
- At lease quarterly, reconcile benefits costs in payroll to general ledger to ensure accuracy of payroll records to supporting documentation and benefits records. This project requires attention to detail and the ability to pull data from multiple sources.
- On an annual basis, independently complete the 401K Discrimination Testing.
- On an annual basis, independently complete the Annual Workers Compensation Audit
Additional Monthly Activities:
- Approve payroll for international payrolls (Hong Kong, Philippians, UK, Dubai, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia) – payroll processed by payroll service company
- Enter Liberty Mutual Changes and prepare payment.
- Balance, process and prepare payments for AFLAC, Guardian, VSP and Legal Shield invoices.
- Reconcile and prepare payment for all benefit statements.
- Monthly Report to Corporate ESCO Contributions and stock contributions.
- Resolves issues in a timely manner with the payroll vendors, HR, employees, managers, ESCO, etc. which affect the payrolls.
- Assists with month-end and year- end closings, financial and tax audits.
- Conforms with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- Perform related duties as assigned by the Controller.
- Serves as the point of contact for requests from ESCO and outside auditors to ensure compliance with SOX - payroll, ESIP, 401k, Worker’s Compensation and other plans and determines the best way to resolve their requests.
- Bachelor’s Degree with major course work in Finance or Accounting; OR a combination of experience, education, and training equivalent to a four-year degree.
- Must have at least 7 to 10 years of payroll experience in a complex corporate environment.
- Must possess detail knowledge of payroll, tax and accounting concepts.
- Must have proven ability in improving payroll systems through feed automation and enhanced reporting.
- The ability to keep information confidential and communicate with the utmost of discretion.
- The person must have a high attention to detail and the ability to follow logical steps.
- The capacity to meet critical deadlines while managing multiple priorities in a fast pace team environment.
- Ability to independently plan and organize one’s own activities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to interface within all levels of the organization.
- Proficient with Microsoft products such as Outlook, Word, Excel and Access.