Purchasing Manager - Greater Hartford, CT Area
- Purchasing Manager will oversee direct subcontract, outside process, and raw materials management to meet company objectives, policies and requirements. Ensure the timely response and delivery of materials, services and suppliers in support of operational goals.
- Manage the purchasing team to ensure high level of productivity and quality. Ensure that staff works as a team. Lead by example, communicate information and provide training on new procedures. Determine performance expectations, evaluate performance, and provide coaching and training opportunities. Handle employee issues in a timely way.
- Develop Supply Chain solutions to support company operational objectives. Develop and align key suppliers as extension of Value Streams using Lean tools.
- Review and approve purchase order drafts for conformance to company policy and applicable laws. Sign purchase orders and changes within delegated level of authority. Procure materials with minimum cost, waste, and non-value added effort to maximize company profit.
- Maintain supplier base with capabilities and capacities necessary to support operations and customer requirements. Make recommendations for new suppliers. Secure price agreements for contract and raw material. Monitor trends in prices, technology advances, supply of materials, lead times and services.
- Prioritize work. Maintain appropriate staffing level. Maintain workflow and balance; track and monitor work. Ensure that productivity and quality standards and measures are met. Communicate information to appropriate departments and individuals. Provide reports. Manage expenses.
- Utilize continuous improvement principles to achieve company goals in cost, throughput, productivity, quality and delivery. Responsible for performance, measurements and performance matrices.
- Develop and maintain Purchasing operating systems and procedures. Provide reports to management regarding costs and schedules of materials and services.
- Maintain clean and safe work environment. Follow safety, health and environmental procedures and regulations. Report safety incidents to manager.
- Make recommendations for improvements to work processes and procedures. Ensure that group maintains 5S programs in work area.
- Provide a high level of service to all internal and external customers. Contribute to positive teamwork environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Accomplish related results as needed.
- This position has direct supervisory responsibilities of 6-10 supply chain employees.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management
- 4-6 years in Purchasing in a manufacturing environment; aerospace industry environment is preferred
- Skills/Abilities Essential to the Position:
- Analytical thinking
- Attention to detail
- Communication (listening, verbal, written)
- Customer focus
- Decision making
- PC skills (Advanced Microsoft Office, including Access)
- Problem solving
- Results oriented
- Time management
- Knowledge Essential to the Position:
- Companies policies, procedures and structure
- Companies products
- Purchasing and contract procedures and principles