With oversight from the Engineering Director or designee, accurately builds solid models of completely assembled products and detailed parts including bills of material (BOM), utilizing SolidWorks software, PDM software, interfacing with client's system. Creates and maintains all CAD drawings, BOMs, and material specifications. May also maintain legacy product documentation using AutoCAD.
Uses mechanical aptitude, technical education, and industry experience to complete product design (and redesign) projects, meeting established cost, time and deliverable goals, while following client procedures. Acquires and maintains sufficient knowledge of the design and application of client products, as well as of related water management products that may be applied as the Company considers product line expansions and extensions. Significant interaction with Manufacturing Operations, Supply Chain and Sales is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accurately builds solid models of all products utilizing SOLIDWORKS within a PDM environment
- Creates/revises BOMs, part and assembly drawings to accurately and concisely communicate design intent
- Creates Engineering Change Requests detailing the necessary changes to released designs, updates drawings/models/BOMs as needed, and routes change requests through an approval process
- As appropriate, participates in product technical design reviews
- Structures PDM system for efficient storage, query, and dissemination of technical documentation
- Develops sufficient expertise and knowledge of products to which assigned that they begin to be recognized by internal and external persons as a useful technical resource.
- Interfaces with Tool Design to ensure molded product designs can be manufactured with respect to quality, quantity, functionality and cost requirements
- Possesses an understanding of the causal relationships of product design to performance and product cost and can modify product designs accordingly
- Possesses an understanding of Six Sigma tools and their use in product development processes
- Ensures designs conform to applicable industry and business standards, Codes, Laws and regulations
- Continually evaluates CAD design processes and practices for Continuous Improvement opportunities
- Identifies and keeps abreast of novel technical concepts. Learns new skills and adopts new practices readily in order to develop innovative and low-cost products that improve client's technical leadership position
- Performs other related duties as assigned