The Design Engineer provides engineering support and leadership for product development; researching and developing ideas for new products and existing product lines. This position reports directly to the Director of Engineering. As part of the product development team, the Design Engineer is responsible for using their knowledge and experience to develop an innovative product – all while maintaining a budget and schedule.
- Create new or improved designs based on product specifications, market input, cost targets and development timelines.
- Use Solidworks to create models and drawings of product.
- Designing test procedures and reports to evaluate and qualify designs.
- Build and conduct testing on engineering prototypes.
- Work with potential vendors to achieve best design for manufacture.
- Support production in initial manufacturing ramp up of new product.
- Offer design support of the product once it enters production.
- Organize and maintain existing engineering records.
- Work interdepartmentally to continually improve operations and grow our business.
- All other duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- 5-8 years of design engineering experience
- Hand gauge experience: Calipers, Micrometers, Height Stands.
- Good knowledge of Solidworks and/or other 3D CAD software
- Good understanding of design for manufacturing for vast manufacturing methods; polymer injection molding, metal injection molding, machining, stamping, spring, etc.
- Good understanding of GD&T principles.
- Good understanding of performing tolerance stack analyses.
- Ability to communicate effectively with executive management and work group.
- Proficient skills with computers, Excel and Outlook required.