Manufacturing Design Engineer
Manufacturing Design Engineer
Mechanical Design Engineer
General Overview: We are seeking an experience Manufacturing Design Engineer to join our growing Engineering team. The Manufacturing Design Engineer will have extensive knowledge in manufacturing production processes, specifically creating and monitoring automated systems and technology development. Mechanical aptitude, attention to detail, and organization are key skills. The Manufacturing Design Engineer will work on a cross functional team to improve yields on existing products, drive lower cost processes and meet established launch metrics on new products. This position will provide timely communication of project reporting, schedules, status, issues and potential misses or exceptions on a regularly scheduled basis.
· Design, develop and oversee the fabrication of required tooling and dies to facilitate efficient part manufacture and also create drawings of existing machines.
· Coordinate with the Maintenance, Production and Engineering departments to ensure needed modifications occur in a timely manner with minimal negative impact on productivity and to develop mean time between failure and predictive maintenance schedules.
· Follow jobs through all phases of production, from programming to final assembly.
· Create multi-axis CNC programs using multiple software platforms for production of tooling’s
molds, dies or other relative customer requests.
· Work with an automation and continuous improvement mindset and work with senior management to identify industry best practices for manufacturing equipment.
· Work closely with Machinists on set ups, communicating effectively with them regarding troubleshooting and suggestions for improvements.
· Maintains continuity among teams by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities and continuing needs.
· Plan, design and execute equipment rebuilds.
· Select equipment based on critical business needs; including cost of capital, expected product volumes, and production flexibility.
· Work with manufacturing line supervision to develop robust protocols for tool and die inspection and replacement.
· Prepare and organize project documentation (manuals, PM’s, spare parts, correspondence,
drawings, drawing lists, material listings, etc.)
· Will lead successful execution of projects measured by on-time delivery, within budget and meeting performance goals and developing and proving process performance measures and success after start-up of new equipment and / or process lines.
· Train and guide plant personnel to perform local project execution, tracking and management tasks in support of projects or as applicable in accordance with
established LG project protocol, procedures, requirements and specifications.
· Maintain technical knowledge of LG process systems, equipment, construction methods, approaches and technology.
· Develop and implement work process improvements to streamline or improve effectiveness and efficiency results of practices and processes.
· Develop specifications; participate in purchasing processes to negotiate successful contracts or equipment purchases to conform to budget and specification requirements.
· Create a “zero injury” work environment by planning safety into all project and post-completion phases. Provide training and ensure compliance to safety practices by all involved in all phases of the projects.
· Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Engineering or Technical degree. Masters of Business Administration is preferred, but not required.
· Minimum 6 years Engineering experience is required.
· Working knowledge of Six Sigma and Lean principles and solid problem-solving skills are required.
· Solid knowledge of engineering fundamentals is essential to success in this role.
· Experience in equipment specification, selection, installation and handover is required.
· Experience in metal forming industries is highly preferred.
· Ability to work in cross functional teams and communicate effectively at all levels of the organization is critical.
Software Experience Desired:
Solidworks, Mastercam, AutocCad, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point and MS Project.