Manufacturing Engineer II
Responsible for developing high quality manufacturing processes for a wide variety of products, including all phases from pilot production planning to final assembly. This individual will be responsible for transitioning products from internal and external to manufacturing, and supporting those products once in routine production.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluate manufacturing processes; applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials; conferring with equipment vendors; soliciting observations from operators.
- Develops manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; conferring with equipment vendors.
- Improves manufacturing efficiency by applying LEAN, 5S and Six Sigma methods, analyzing and planning staffing, work flow, space requirements, and equipment layout.
- Assures product and process quality by designing testing methods; testing finished- product and process capabilities; establishing standards; confirming manufacturing processes.
- Provides manufacturing decision-making information to management by calculating production, labor, and material costs; reviewing production schedules; estimating future requirements. Includes NPI (SPL) support of new products.
- Prepares product and process reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Proficient level of understanding or background in lean manufacturing, DFX, fixture design, part design, design for manufacturing and assembly practices.
- Creates and maintains manufacturing records including Bills of Material, assembly and test procedures and work instructions, and test records.
- Implements continuous product improvements aimed at improving reliability, design for manufacturability and assembly (DFMA), as dictated by customer or business needs and requests.
- Keeps production and test equipment operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services; following manufacturer's instructions and established procedures; requesting special service.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Support floor personnel in assembly for manufacture, troubleshooting documentation and design issues to resolution.
- Support Program/Project Managers by providing technical assistance
- Perform costing and /or estimates for product changes or new products.
- Direct activities and provide guidance and oversight to more junior engineers and technicians.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering Discipline.
- 6+ years’ experience working in an ISO regulated capital equipment product or contract manufacturing environment.
- Proficient with CAD (SolidWorks preferred), MS Office, MS Project, and MRP/ERP systems.
- Solid technical aptitude and understanding of electro/mechanical assemblies.
- Working knowledge of Business Process Software; MRP/PDM; Epicor E9/10 and SW EPDM software experience a plus.
- Solid knowledge of GT&D, inspection methods and tools.
- Experience with New Product Introduction (NPI).
- Generally works in an office environment, but may occasionally be required to perform job duties outside of the typical office setting. Occasional travel required.
- Interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting.
- Must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone.