The Optical Engineer/ Senior Optical Engineer is responsible for leading the optical engineering aspects for the development of commercial laser systems. This individual will be working closely with other members of our small interdisciplinary team developing innovative laser products and related technologies. The candidate must be a fast learner, strong problem solver, and exceptional communicator. This position will require you to translate ideas into high level design concepts and prototypes. The candidate must have a proven ability to understand complex problems and requirements as described by customers, product managers, and scientific and engineering staff.
- Lead the design and development of state-of-the-art CO2 laser products, subassemblies, and production equipment, including concept definition, requirements definition, new technology assessments, and evaluation of alternative technical solutions.
- Analyze and present modeling and test data. Discuss results with technical staff, external partners, and customers.
- Provide optical design and test domain leadership to project teams in the preparation of engineering inputs, cost estimates and schedules.
- Prepare for and participate in comprehensive design reviews.
- Evaluate laser performance at the component and system levels via both optical modeling and hands-on experimental methods. Lead the revision of designs to minimize changes in later project phases and perform system integration and test activities.
- Help develop and execute laser component reliability and qualification tests, especially accelerated aging, high stress conditions, and test to failure.
- Develop manufacturing and quality procedures for designed systems and support manufacturing in pilot builds and trouble-shooting during production.
- Write engineering change orders on existing products to improve designs and correct problems.
- Meet deadlines, sustain superior personal task management, and deliver consistent high performance.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s or PhD preferred) in Optics, Physics, or a closely related field.
- High proficiency in using Zemax, ANSYS, GLAD, Code V or similar for optical design and documentation.
- 5+ years experience in optical engineering of industrial equipment. Experience in design of laser resonators and CO2 lasers preferred.
- Experience in execution of engineering documentation, from design reviews and requirements documents to failure analysis and risk mitigation.