We are working with a large manufacturing and distribution operation in Newnan, GA who is looking for a Packaging Engineer to join their team on a contract basis. The Packaging Engineer will design, plan, and supervise; develop and implement improved ways to extract, process, and use raw materials; develop new materials that both improve the performance of products and take advantage of advances in technology; analyze the impact of the products they develop or the systems they design on the environment and on people using them; determine the causes of breakdowns; test manufactured products to maintain quality; estimate the time and cost to complete projects.
- Design and implement solutions to lower packaging and freight costs through increasing cube utilization of truck trailers
- Identify methods to improve cube utilization of packaging to simultaneously lower overall packaging and transportation expenses.
- Write procedures to standardize secondary packaging to ensure best practices.
- Build exceptional working relationships with all functional areas to ensure packaging success.
- Work with supplier to protection of all parts, ship product to customer specifications, and comply with delivery requirements.
- Implement packaging that meets environmental requirements while reducing material waste.
- Execute packaging solutions to reduce labor costs throughout the Logistics value stream
- BSME, BSIE or equivalent experience.
- Experience in packaging development
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Exceptional customer focus and communication skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products using Excel as an analytical tool
- Proficient use of packaging software - Autocad, Autodesk Inventor, or Solidworks
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in engineering role in a logistics / manufacturing environment
- Expertise in packaging testing, functional testing, and packaging systems
- Experience in implementing packaging that cubes out the packaging and truck trailers in a warehouse/manufacturing environment
- Able to perform 5S and Visual factory