Principal Systems Engineer
Principal Systems Engineer
The DAVIS Companies is supporting a global leader in the medical device market that develops and manufacturers products that empower their customers to better diagnose and treat their patients.
The team is seeking a Principal Systems Engineer to guide teams through the complete Product Development Life Cycle of new and existing products. This position will provide technical leadership to promote, drive innovation and excellence through cross-functional collaboration.
Responsibilities of Principal Systems Engineers
- Understand the project/customer requirements and drive system and functional architectural decisions
- Take technical ownership of entire system from inception to product delivery including (Electrical, Firmware, Software and Mechanical) architectural decisions
- Drive system requirements, system specifications, input/output processes and working parameters by using systems engineering best practices
- Drive system partitioning (i.e. hardware/software partitioning) and coordinate total system integration.
- Solve system problems through simulation, mathematical analysis, and/or systems interaction testing/analysis.
- Lead integration of product technologies with respect to mechanical, electrical, firmware and software for multiple on-going projects
- Facilitate cross-functional technical decision making with ultimate ownership within the team
- Key stakeholder in the technical development strategy for the project
- Internal and external stakeholder communication on key technical updates and issues
- Work with internal/external partners as necessary to leverage key capabilities as needed for the project
- Interface directly with leadership team on project status/issues
- Mentor engineers in engineering activities/methodologies and domain knowledge
- Coordinate system testing including evaluation, validation & verification activities.
- Drive systems engineering center of excellence as key discipline across the organization.
- Execute risk management/mitigation activities and system issue resolution for the project.
Qualifications of Principal Systems Engineer:
- Bachelors’ degree in Engineering, preferably systems, electrical, mechanical, or software
- 10+ years of engineering experience
- 3-5+ years new product development in a systems engineering role
- Demonstrated experience with risk management and systems engineering processes
- Ability to grow productive, trusting and open relationships with a wide variety of constituencies and communicate across the organization
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- High degree of organizational skills and high attention to detail
- Ability to clearly and accurately translate needs and requirements
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize effectively
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to develop protocols, conduct system tests and write reports
- Systems Engineering degree(s)
- 10+ years systems engineering experience
- Voice-of-customer experience
- Technology research experience
- Strong cross-functional knowledge (electrical, mechanical, software, regulatory, etc.)
- Experienced in the design of experiments, data analysis, statistical methods and presentation of results
- Familiarity with functional database and software tools for managing projects, requirements, risk, etc.