Senior Application Engineer
Senior Application Engineer
Senior Application Engineer - Purpose & Scope
This position exists to support Industrial Customer Engineering tactics and Front End business goals by translating customer needs into new applications.The Senior Application Engineer performs bearing analysis using proprietary companies software and other programs. Some calculations will require the use of tools beyond the limits of currently-available analysis software. The Senior Application engineer will promote the value of products and services to customers that are both strategic for the companies and add customer value. A primary function is to provide engineering and technical support to field sales and service, other internal customers, and occasional on-site or remote, real-time problem-solving with external customers.
- Bearing Selection and Analysis: Perform systems analysis, bearing selection, adjusted L10 life calculations, seal, mounting method, fitting practice and lubricant suggestions, mounting methods and fitting practice.
- Performance and Quality Issues: Perform advanced damage analysis, including evaluations of geometry, materials, and metallurgy. Review design concepts for product performance and ease of manufacture. Provide customer ready written or verbal responses to external requests for damage analysis results.
- Support the Sales Process: Present technical information to customers. Assist Sales Engineer in their effort to influence buying decisions of customers. Target results to known customer needs, adding value to the customer and to Timken.
- Risk Assessment & Mitigation: Conduct project-related assessments. Generate DFMEAs for existing application types and contribute to PFMEA when appropriate. Apply standard processes and procedures with respect to risk analysis.
- New Business Development: Submit ideas for improvements and enhancements to existing or new products using NPR process. Define and launch PORs and test requests to validate product performance. Conduct industry or technology research, and identify trends. Share observations and conclusions with New Business Development associates to guide future development.
- Knowledge Transfer: Serve as instructor for technical training classes both internal and external. Coach/mentor new engineering associates. Generate technical articles, catalogs and brochures.
Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 2 years experience in anti-friction products and system related solutions or Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering. Preferred: Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 4 years experience in anti-friction products and system related solutions or Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering and a minimum of 1 year experience in anti-friction products and system related solutions.
- Experience with direct customer communication
- Bearing analysis and Syber experience
- Willingness to travel domestically or regionally