Systems Engineer, Franklin Ma
As part of the Chemical Analysis Division, the Environmental & Process Monitoring team develops, manufactures, and services instrumentation used for monitoring and analysis of 1) gaseous and particulate emissions and 2) process flows and pollutants. These state-of-the-art products are used in a wide variety of customer applications and market segments from local, State & Government entities to Oil & Gas industry, Iron & Steel industry, Pharmaceutical, Food and other process industries. We utilize the latest technology to continuously evolve our product line which enables our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
How will you make an impact?
With your solid technical foundation in the principles of engineering, materials and design practices, you will provide a broad approach to the design and development of our elite line of air pollution and process diagnostic instrumentation. You will coordinate the design activities of the various functional engineering fields within R&D to focus on overall compliance with product specifications, target cost, and robustness of design with the goal of minimizing design risk. For new product development projects, you will be the primary point of contact between the NPI group in R&D, Project Manager, and other business functions.
What will you do?
• Develop system level specifications and sub-system level specifications from Marketing VOC (voice of customer)
• Work with the various R&D functions to come up with different system architectures, do a cost-benefits analysis and identify optimal architecture from a holistic perspective
• Minimize design risk using FMEAs, DFM and multi-sourcing of components
• Ensure specifications are met via Verification (R&D) and Validation (Quality)
• Conduct internal R&D design reviews
• Be the point of contact between R&D and the other functions on the project team
How will you get here?
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or related technical discipline
• 3+ years of new product development experience
• Proven success in developing and launching multiple new products
• Previous experience in applying Design of Manufacturability knowledge to system and sub-systems designs in mechanical, electronics and software/firmware
• Experience with modeling, simulation, and data analysis tools, such as Minitab, R, MATLAB, Mathematica, Python, VB, Excel, Labview, etc.
• Hands-on approach to prototyping, system integration and debugging of complex products, including optical, electrical, mechanical, and software components
• Knowledge of instrumental methods of analysis is a plus
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Ability to minimize design risk using tools such as DOE, FMEA, sensitivity analysis, SPC, etc.
• Familiar with software development
• Strong analytical skills, detail oriented and excellent problem solving/troubleshooting skills
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with multidisciplinary and multicultural teams