Utility Operator I (respool) 1st Shift
Utility Operator I (respool) 1st Shift
Job Title: Utility Operator
Reports To: Wire Respool Supervisor
Company Brief & Vision:
Company is part of the Spectris group of companies, is a leading international, integrated, single-source supplier of highly engineered products and customized solutions in the process measurement and control industry, with a very strong brand, high levels of repeat business with an unmatched reputation for meeting customer needs. The company is a global leader in digital marketing of technical products and customized solutions offering over 100,000 state-of-the-art products for process measurement and control of temperature, humidity, pressure, strain, force, flow, level, pH and conductivity. Company also offers a complete line of data acquisition, automation, electric heating and custom engineered products for use in manufacturing, test and research environments. The company’s corporate headquarters is based in Norwalk, Connecticut with manufacturing locations and sales offices throughout the world.
How we do business, our code of business ethics:
We have always placed a high priority on the standards by which we do business, because we believe that how we work is as important as what we do. We have improved our governance processes and enhanced our Code of Business Ethics, in order to achieve our commitment to manage our business according to the highest ethical standards.
Absolute integrity: Always acting with honesty and transparency in all that we do. Doing the right thing even if it means losing business. Keeping our promise and commitments. Treating our people and business partners with fairness and respect.
Empowerment: Creating an entrepreneurial culture where people can take initiative and succeed. Challenging our people to grow and reach their highest potential, individually and collectively. Trusting our people to take personal ownership and accountability and learn from their experiences.
Customer Focus: Partnering with our customers to enhance their productivity and performance. Listening to customer challenges and actively anticipating their future requirements. Delivering on our commitments to meet customer needs.
Restless Innovation: Continuously improving products, services and business processes. Constantly finding ways to enhance personal, customer and product performance to create maximum value. Challenging the status quo.
High Performance: Delivering strong and sustainable value for our shareholders. Performing to the highest standards against the commitments we make internally to one another and externally to our customers. Developing resilient businesses that are best in class. Acting with urgency without compromising quality, safety, the environment and our integrity.
Position Summary: The Utility Operator will provide all around support for the Respool operation. The candidate will have basic knowledge of how to perform all jobs within the department, be capable of running respool machines, and perform administrative duties as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- All duties and responsibilities associated with Respool Machine Operator Level 1, including but not limited to tasks such as:
- Monitoring and adjusting machine controls that can modify speed, tension, wire length, and/or spool size.
- Placing reel of specified wires onto pay-off spindle (weighing up to 100 lbs.) and thread wire through feed rolls.
- Verify wire sizes and calibrations using a micrometer and an Acromag tester.
- Properly identify and tag finished goods, record production data, and fill out the associated production paperwork.
- Read and interpret specifications, job orders, and production schedules to determine processes and materials.
- Perform cycle counts in the 5Z area, finished goods area, and breakdown areas.
- Ownership of wire request spreadsheet – log in items being sent, do quantity moves and load into tubs to be transported to the warehouse.
- Maintain breakdown area – pulling wire for jobs, returning unused wire back to breakdown locations, maintain inventory control, do all quantity moves in computer.
- Make I.D. tags and properly log all wire spools, create and close out jobs, run bench and keep track of work orders, and fix BOMs.
- Put finished wire away in finished goods locations.
- Inspect and prepare spools for D.C. area.
- Investigate all expedites on late orders and give proper responses.
- Fill out and maintain equipment production and maintenance record.
- Train Level 1 Operators.
- Practice 5S / Lean principles.
- Follow safety procedures and adhere to established quality policies.
- 3 years previous machine operation experience.
- Prior experience in a manufacturing environment using computers.
- Prior experience with inventory and cycle counting.
- Must be competent with all Level 1 Operator skills, knowledge & capabilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and management.
- Skill to verify products using quality measuring devices.
- Ability to lift up to 100 lbs. with assistance.
- Able to lean, reach, kneel and stand for long periods of time.
- Knowledge on the use of hand tools.
- Knowledge of calibration metal types and color codes.
- Strong computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Attention to detail, thorough and legible written communication, and strong organizational skills.
- Basic math skills with an understanding of conversions.
- Able to multi-task and employ good time management.
- Willingness to work overtime when needed.
Minimum Educational Requirements:
- High School diploma or equivalent.