The DAVIS Companies has partnered with a global leader in the medical device industry by securing a Buyer to join their team.
- Issue purchase orders as required to procure production-related material and/or services (as well as items required for maintenance, repair, and facility operations)
- Monitor, analyze, and administer daily decisions in support of the MRP actions to ensure that materials are available for the manufacturing operations to meet customer deliveries within stated lead times; including active management of outsourcing activities.
- Negotiate and coordinate the procurement of materials and services necessary to support the manufacturing schedule to acquire goods and services while maintaining good supplier relations.
- Manage purchased inventories, lot sizing & minimum buy quantities to attain the most advantageous cost position for the company (including consideration for company owned inventory costs).
- Actively participate with audits and supplier development activities.
- Limit back order of all assigned materials and/or services while communicating back order information to internal departments.
- Maintain measurement systems for suppliers and routinely evaluate supplier performance.
- Assure that all terms and conditions are met as established by Purchase Order requirements, Supply Agreements and technical requirements and conflicts are identified.
- Demonstrate continual growth towards competent performance of duties described as “Senior Buyer Responsibilities”.
- Working closely with the SDE, take the lead in providing oversight and direction to ensure that the commercial aspects of our supplier relationships are properly established.
- Supply Agreements (work closely with the Accounting Manager)
- Price & cost drivers
- Supplier relationship management
- Inventory terms
- Overall supplier performance
- Develop and maintain strategic supplier partnerships that will provide the company with competitive advantages in lowest total cost, highest quality, and superior customer service.
- Assess suppliers & potential suppliers for their position as a competitor to the company, implementing and following appropriate guidelines & safeguards to appropriately protect the companies confidential information.
- Award new business to suppliers based on the collaborative efforts of the SDE/Estimating/Engineering groups – considering ASL, pricing, timing, technical capabilities, terms & conditions, competitor status, etc.
- Negotiate Supply Agreements, Terms & Conditions, Pricing, etc. to acquire goods and services per the most advantageous terms for the company
- Drive continuous improvement with suppliers in alignment with company goals, including year-over-year cost reductions in overall supplier related costs.
- Take the lead in conducting spending analysis to continuously improve purchased supply for best-value performance in support of the strategic objectives of the business.
- Routinely evaluate suppliers and monitor supplier performance; update supplier status as appropriate. (Scorecards, Business reviews, Supplier Status - Preferred, Satisfactory, Needs Improvement).
- Create & utilize tools such as metrics, scorecards and comparative analysis to identify cost savings opportunities and to monitor/manage overall supplier performance.
- Develop multiple “Preferred” suppliers for each key material/service required to meet our production & business risk needs.
- Work closely with BCM’s, CSS, Planners to properly manage purchased materials and services regarding cost and inventory management considerations such as minimum buys, replenishment programs, raw material inventory coverage, and lead times, to achieve overall customer satisfaction.
- Bachelor's degree in related field and 1-3 years of buying experience within a manufacturing setting; or, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Other Qualifications and Desired Skills:
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills are essential including strong negotiating skills using a structured approach
- Able to effectively use IQMS for purchasing and inventory functions
- APICS, CPM or other purchasing credentials desired
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance philosophies, practices, and techniques