MLT - Blood Donor Screening (AFIA-PCR-Processing)
Our client in Norwood, MA is looking for an experienced Medical Lab Technician to join their 1st shift.
Position Summary: Perform DNA Extractions and real-time PCR methods for screening blood donor specimens. Perform clinical laboratory testing within CAP/CLIA guidelines and adherence to Quality Management Systems. Demonstrate initiative and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Perform laboratory procedures in one or both of the following areas:
- Apply molecular biology knowledge and skills to extract DNA and perform real-time PCR methods.
- Perform Immunofluorescence Antibody Assays (IFA), blood film reading, red cell counting, and microscopy.
- Perform a combination of manual and automated techniques to perform high-throughput patient testing.
- Setup, run, and troubleshoot laboratory robotics and workstations to perform automated techniques.
- Achieve proficiency with Laboratory Information Systems and LIMs to input and track the status of specimens, process data, and patient results.
- Work collaboratively and efficiently to ensure high quality results within expected turnaround times.
- Troubleshoot laboratory methods and laboratory instrumentation to minimize downtime.
- Actively participate in equipment and process validation, process improvement, and process development initiatives.
- Use a variety of scientific techniques in the laboratory, adhering to Good Laboratory Practices, Good Manufacturing Practices and following SOP’s
- Will be required to handle blood-borne pathogens and general laboratory reagents
- Follows all company safety policies and other safety precautions within work area
- Regular attendance and timeliness is essential
- Undergraduate degree in Medical Laboratory Science or a related life sciences degree is required.
- A minimum of 2 years of clinical laboratory experience is preferred, but not required.
- It is preferred, but not required, that candidates have experience in either or both of the following:
- DNA Extractions, real-time PCR, and laboratory automation.
- IFA, blood films, red cell counts, and microscopy.
- Be flexible, adaptable, and multi-task oriented.
- Be a team player with strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Highly organized and have strong documentation skills, preferably in a regulated laboratory environment.
The physical demands described within the Position Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and coworkers. Job requires employee to remain on his or her feet in an upright position for continuous periods of time without being able to leave the work area.