Laboratory Assistant II
The Laboratory Assistant II works under the direct supervision of a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) or Medical Technologist (MT) and assists with performing preparatory steps of patient specimens in the laboratory. The Laboratory Assistant II does not perform any of the following portions of laboratory testing: quality control approval on cell counters, instrument calibrations, validations, reading or approving test results.
- Sample unpacking upon receipt in laboratory.
- Sample accessioning.
- Sample preparation.
- Enters patient demographic and sample information obtained from test requisitions.
- Stocks/prepares supplies.
- Sorts and loads bar coded samples onto analyzers.
- Loads and washes micro filter plates using plate washers.
- Records performance checks of equipment such as recording temperatures of cold rooms, product storage areas, and incubators and submits results to MLT or MT for review.
- Performs analysis on incubators and submits results to MLT or MT for review.
- Performs instrument preventative maintenance including general cleaning and flushes with a 10% bleach or instrument compatible solution.
- Performs daily pipette performance checks and submits results to MLT or MT for review.
- Performs line clearance at the beginning and end of day.
- Archives test plates.
- Adhere to standards of regulatory agencies such as, but not limited to CAP/CLIA/GCP/GLP and Quality Management principles.
- Maintains cleanliness in the laboratory.
- Completes bench level non-conformance worksheets.
- Reconciles manual test plates.
- Labels and aliquots reagents as needed.
- Maintains Good Laboratory Practices.
- Completes other specimen preparatory duties as assigned.
- Participates in continuing education including training program to expand scope of knowledge.
- Maintains current training and competency.
- Follows all company safety policies & other safety precautions within work area.
- Must demonstrate satisfactory levels of competency before performing preparatory portions of tests.
- Regular attendance and timeliness is essential.
- Require B.S degree in one of the biological, chemical, or physical sciences.
- Experienced in working to CAP/CLIA/GCP/GLP and Quality Management principles.
- An understanding of general laboratory practices is preferred.