As the Principal Packaging Engineer, you will be responsible for all packaging aspects of the photonics products. Supported by a multidisciplinary team that includes optical and mechanical engineers, you will responsible for the package design with considerations of process design of our DFB lasers, pump lasers, high-speed detectors, and other photonics products applicable to Aerospace & Defense, Life Science and Industrial market sectors. Following our NPD/NPI gate process, you will ensure that the products under development meet both internal and customer specifications and that the product is designed for manufacturing and for the specific application. You will also support other areas of the business with project, product and process engineering skills as required. Being a member of the global R&D team, you will interface with other engineers in the business, including our Fiber-Optic development and product engineering teams in the UK. You will also have the opportunity to work with our Commercial department and interact with customers on new R&D programs.
• Perform all aspects of photonics packaging engineering through the NPI and Engineering Change Process to deliver robust designs and processes to our Manufacturing department, with a full understanding of product performance, material implications, project costs and design for manufacture.
• Develop and implement new active semiconductor-based module packaging design, assembly, and alignment processes.
• Show technical leadership to a cross-functional team of Design, Process, Manufacturing, Quality, and Mechanical Engineers to drive a new product or process into manufacturing.
• Create and/or adapt processes that are robust and repeatable against product specifications and that support the quoted cost.
• Work with Manufacturing to improve and streamline existing processes for increased accuracy and efficiencies.
• Have a full understanding of NPI design and qualification processes and standard quality management systems and standards.
• Meet deadlines, maintaining clear communication with all stakeholders.
• Drive meetings and coordinate actions to enable the team with achieving project budget and schedule requirements.
• Be the technical lead to our Commercial team with project plans and customer inquiries.
• Support sales and technical inquires including commercial demands of the business and participate in customer communication when required.
• Support and challenge Supply Chain and Manufacturing Engineering with cost reductions in both materials and processes.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
SPECIALIST FUNCTIONAL KNOWLEDGE
• Solid understanding of semiconductor active devices including lasers, photodiodes, modulators,
• Knowledge on packaging of Photonics Integrated Circuits (PIC) will be beneficial, especially on planar or out of plane fiber to waveguide coupling.
• Optical assembly process development
• Capability to perform thermal analysis and Finite Element Analysis.
• Expert knowledge of CAD packages (SolidWorks)
• Basic knowledge of Zemax
• Solid understanding of materials and their characteristics (e.g. outgassing)
• Knowledgeable in packaging technologies and processes, wire bonding, familiarity with glass, ceramic, and metal material properties and multilayer interfaces.
• Experience in opto-mechanical design for active and passive optical alignment
• RF and high speed design experience is preferred
DAVIS Companies partners with the top employers locally and nationally. They choose us because of our reputation for finding high quality talent, fast, but also our experience for evaluating and representing the best candidates in the marketplace. We make every effort to provide updates and feedback to candidates at each stage of the process as we appreciate how stressful looking for a new role can be. Apply today and experience “The DAVIS Difference”.