As an employee, professionalism, technical expertise, thoughtfulness and courtesy are expected during any and all customer interactions. In these instances, the employee’s primary responsibility is to meet or exceed the customer’s expectations.
Identifying, developing, supporting and maintaining relationships with end-users and integrators for standard and custom optical systems are the critical requirements of the Sales Application Engineer at Companies Optics. In order to be successful, the Sales Applications Engineer will receive support from some of the industry’s brightest individuals covering a breadth of disciplines including optical design, opto-mechanical engineering, optical assemblers, and technicians.
Daily activities for a Sales Applications Engineer may involve responding to general inquiries via inbound call and email seeking information on our company, products, and services. The act of carrying out this responsibility requires the individual to be able to:
1. Communicate effectively and professionally in oral and written formats.
2. Verify the project/opportunity/requirement to be a good fit for the group’s current capabilities, capacity, and profit margins/targets.
3. Leverage historical data to provide preliminary cost/schedule/feasibility estimates to customers.
4. Secure the necessary specification/application details such that a suitable standard or custom optical solution can be conceptualized.
5. Work as liaison between the customer and the technical team at Companies to define a mutually agreed upon set of specifications in response to a requirement that clearly communicates compliance/clarification/exception as needed to customer stated requirements.
6. Process price quotes and proposals for standard products, pre-engineered systems, or custom solutions that were deemed a good match for the project based upon the efforts described above.
7. Perform follow up calls, emails, or face-to-face meetings with interested parties that could result in potential sales opportunities for Companies’ products & services.
8. Work with engineering, order entry, accounting and shipping to process any resulting orders per customers’ expectations.
9. Work with Companies’ production and administrative teams to understand project schedules and provide updates to customers as required.
10. Follow up with customers that ordered Companies products to determine satisfaction with product received, customer service, and to inquire about the possibility for new orders.
Essential skills required to be successful in the position include the ability to prioritize workload in a manner that realizes the most immediate/strategic benefit while also addressing customer requirements and schedules, prompt and informative responses to customer inquiries, strong product and capability knowledge and expertise, familiarity with commercial camera offerings and their compatibility with our products. The successful candidate should have a good understanding of optics and optical systems but does not necessarily need to possess all of the
technical knowledge on Companies’ products & services at the time of hire. The candidate must respond positively to on-job training and constructive performance feedback from supervisors and colleagues.
Listed below are the anticipated duties:
1. Provide Companies product information to customers in both oral and written form.
2. Prepare proposals in response to customer requests.
3. Become the conduit that accurately transmits customers’ technical & commercial requirements to Companies’ optical design, engineering, & sales management to maximize the chance of capturing each opportunity.
4. Coordinate internal gate reviews where required.
5. Input on workload prioritization and project scheduling to help assist engineering and program managers to meet our customer’s deadlines.
6. Manage customer orders for custom products from design stage through delivery.
7. Establish and maintain processes to effectively achieve the goals defined above.
8. Assist with incoming calls & website requests for information or support on Companies Products & Services
9. Schedule, plan, and host customer visits to Companies facilities.
10. Set objectives for professional development and establish a means for tracking progress against those goals. To be considered for this position the right candidate will require:
11. A Bachelor degree in physics or an engineering discipline.
12. Minimum 2 years of professional work experience in sales engineering.
13. Project Management experience.
14. Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, including MS Project
15. Strong mathematics.
16. Willingness to travel to customer facilities & industry tradeshows.
17. Enthusiasm to learn something new every day.
DAVIS Companies partners with the top employers locally and nationally. They choose us because of our reputation for finding high quality talent, fast, but also our experience for evaluating and representing the best candidates in the marketplace. We make every effort to provide updates and feedback to candidates at each stage of the process as we appreciate how stressful looking for a new role can be. Apply today and experience “The DAVIS Difference”.