New medical device company in St. Louis Park has an immediate opening on their team for a direct hire Senior R&D Engineer. Fantastic opportunity to surround yourself with leaders from some of the top multi-national medical device companies and make a significant contribution to the organization.
Position Overview of the Senior R&D Engineer
The Senior R&D Engineer is responsible for driving innovative product development initiatives from concept through commercialization. You will be responsible for all phases of design, development, component procurement, assembly, test, validation and manufacturing support.
You will cross-functionally collaborate with surgeons, marketing, pre-clinical, quality, and regulatory teams in exploring and identifying innovation opportunity and delivering technically feasible solution to meet the patient and business needs. You will drive innovations with speed by leveraging various capabilities and models both internally and externally.
Key Responsibilities of the Senior R&D Engineer
- You will be responsible for new product design activities from initiating the product requirements, concept to design freeze, supporting documentation required for the post Design Freeze phases, work closely with internal cross-functional team and external partners to ensure design quality.
- Contributing to the completion of various project activities, including product specification definition, risk analysis, design reviews, design verification, design validation, and design transfer to manufacturing.
- Interact with surgeons and clinical partners to identify and prioritize unmet clinical needs.
- Develop conceptual designs, detailed designs, CAD modeling and prototyping.
- Conduct design analyses including theoretical calculations for component fit and tolerance analysis and stress calculations.
- Develop written protocols, reports and presentations related to design activities.
- Perform verification and validation testing.
- Lead/mentor other engineering staff. May be required to lead a cross-functional project team to deliver new product initiatives.
Requirements of the Senior R&D Engineer
- Minimum of Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a highly related field is required.
- Advanced degree is desirable.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in medical device product development is required, surgical product experience preferred.
- Expertise with mechanical design, design for manufacturability, engineering prints and GD&T is desirable.
- Have strong understanding of Design Control, Change Control, Design Verification and Validation Procedure is desirable.
- Experience in designing and fabricating electromechanical device including motor driven device and ultrasonic transducer is highly desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of piezoelectric materials is a plus.
- Expertise in electromechanical components system design is desirable.
- Hands-on experience in prototype building is desirable.
- Expert knowledge and experience with 3D CAD software is desirable.
- Experience in finite element analysis (FEA) is desirable.
- Expert knowledge of analytical software such as Ansys, CE-Tol, Minitab and MathCad is desirable.
- Experience in material property selection and surface characteristics/coating development is desirable.
- Experience in leading efforts to develop technically complex products from innovations to new product development is desirable.
- Ability to travel up to 25% domestically and internationally based on business needs.
DAVIS Companies partners with the top employers locally and nationally. They choose us because of our reputation for finding high quality talent, fast, but also our experience for evaluating and representing the best candidates in the marketplace. We make every effort to provide updates and feedback to candidates at each stage of the process as we appreciate how stressful looking for a new role can be. Apply today and experience “The DAVIS Difference”.